Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Field Trip to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle!

Today I had the opportunity to visit the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle facility in Raleigh.   I went to meet Cindy Sink, Director of Communications, to pick up some flyers for our Holiday Open House goodie bags (their program Backpack Buddies is the beneficiary of the Open House - read more here), and when I got there she asked if I wanted a tour of the facility.  Of course!  Yes I've seen their slogan - We Feed. We teach. We grow. - but I had no idea all the programs they run over there!
Here I am in the area where volunteers fill the backpacks for the  Backpack Buddy Program
Did you know that every morning they have volunteers drive around to different grocery stores to pick up food?  The volunteers then deliver the food back to the facility on Blair Drive where it is sorted.  Meals are then made in the onsite commercial kitchen by people who are going through Inter-Faith Food Shuttle's Culinary Job training - an 11 week program that prepares men and women with severe life challenges for careers in food service.  I also found out that they have a teaching farm off Tryon Road in Cary where volunteers can farm with them. I loved the concept of helping people help themselves.    I had no idea - the volunteering opportunities seemed endless!  If you are looking for a great place to spend some time helping others please check out their website

This "field trip" today made me even more excited about choosing the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle as the receipient of our Holiday Open House charity event! You can tell the passion that this organization has and I'm so glad Swagger is going to be a part of it!  We would love for you to come out to our event on November 1st and Shop for a Cause!  Tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the door.  Lots of great specials, goodie bags for the first 100 ticket purchasers, and more!